New or Replacement Sewage Treatment Systems

The first step to installing a new or replacement sewage treatment system (STS) is to have a site and soil evaluation (SSE) completed. An SSE is required to determine the size, location, and type of STS that can be installed on a property.  An SSE is required when:

  • Building a new home (on existing or vacant parcel)
  • Replacing an existing STS
  • Adding 2 or more bedrooms to an existing STS

To request an SSE, please submit the application to our office. Please read the application instructions for more detailed information. 

Click here for the step by step process of installing a new or replacement STS.

System Types

There are a variety of STS types that can be approved. The SSE will determine what types of system can be installed and how much land area will be needed. STS fall into two categories:

  • On-Lot (non-discharging): these systems treat and contain wastewater on the property. Common systems include: leach lines, sand mound, drip distribution, low pressure piping, and spray irrigation.
  • Off-Lot (discharging): these systems treat and then discharge the wastewater off of the property to a waterway of the state. In addition to SCPH permits, these systems require a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit through the Ohio EPA. These systems are only permissible when an on-lot system cannot be installed.

STS Permits SCPH issues permits for the installation and alteration of STS. SCPH reviews the site plans, conducts inspections during installation, and verifies that the STS is in compliance with current regulations. All permitted work must be conducted by an STS contractor. See our Registered STS Contractor List.

Get an Address Each parcel must have an address assignment. If the parcel is in Akron, Barberton, Cuyahoga Falls, Hudson, Mogadore, Munroe Falls, Silver Lake, Stow or Tallmadge, contact the municipality directly for an address assignment. Parcels in all other areas, contact Summit County Planning & GIS division at 330.643.8013 or click here for an address assignment.

Sewer Availability A STS cannot be installed at a property where sanitary sewer is available. Contact the local sewer authority to find out if sewer is available to your property. Sewer authority contact information available here.

Submit an Application     Our office hours are 8am - 4pm;  Monday - Friday. A fee will apply on all credit card transactions.

Drop off:

Drop off application at 1867 W. Market St., Akron. Environmental Health is located in Building C (drive to the back of the parking lot). Cash, check, and credit cards are accepted.

Mail In:

Mail application along with payment (cash or check) to: 1867 W. Market St., Akron OH 44313


Email application to Once application has been emailed, call 330.926.5600 to pay over the phone by credit card.




page updated 5/10/2024