COVID-19 Reopening Guidance
ServSafe Reopening Guidance: COVID-19 Precautions - English and Spanish versions available. Click HERE.
Person In Charge (PIC) Certification/Level 1 Certification in Food Protection
As of March 1, 2010 OAC 3701-21-25 (I) requires that all new food service operations have at least one person per shift that is Level 1 certified or higher. The following courses have been approved by the Ohio Department of Health for Level 1 Certification in Food Protection:
Food Safety Basics
Join us for an informative and exciting presentation on food safety.
Summit County Public Health - Building A Auditorium
1867 West Market Street, Akron, Ohio 44313 (behind Acme Fresh Market)
- Monday, March 23, 2020 9:00am - Noon, registration at 8:30 CANCELLED.
- Monday, June 8, 2020 1:00pm - 4:00pm, registration at 12:30 CANCELLED.
- Monday, August 31, 2020 9:00am - Noon, registration at 8:30 CANCELLED.
- Monday, December 7, 2020 1:00pm - 4:00pm, registraton at 12:30 CANCELLED.
Food Safety Basics - Simplified Chinese (call 330-926-5600 for information)
May 11, 2020 - 9:00am - Noon, registration at 8:30
5/11/20 CLASS HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
Food Safety Basics - Nepali (call 330-926-5600 for information)
August 17, 2020 - 9:00-Noon, registration at 8:30
8/17/20 CLASS HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
Food Safety Basics - Spanish (call 330-926-5600 for information)
October 5, 2020 - 9:00-Noon, registration at 8:30
10/5/20 CLASS HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
Additional Providers of Person In Charge (PIC) Certification in Food Protection:
Manager Certification in Food Protection/Level 2 Certification in Food Protection
Effective March 1, 2017, at least one employee per risk level III or IV facility with supervisory and management responsibility and the authority to direct and control food preparation and service shall obtain the level 2 certification (at least 15 verified contact hours) in food protection according to rule 3701-21-25 of the Administrative Code. *A certificate must be obtained from the Ohio Department of Health (ODH). Level two certification and a copy of the ODH certificate shall be maintained on site at the facility and readily available to the inspector during routine inspection.*
Providers of Level 2 Certification include:
- ServSafe Manager (formerly level 2) offered in Wayne County Oct 26 & 27, 2020
- University of Akron - Fall 2020 ServSafe® class
- Reigster by clicking here.
- FND Consulting Services
- National Restaurant Association ServSafe®
- Ohio Restaurant Association
- Keep It Safe, LLC
- Western Reserve Hospital 2020 schedule
Find Certified Training Providers
Click here to search for a list of approved providers of the Level 1 and Level 2 Food Certification training programs in Ohio by county.