Extreme Cold Safety Tips
Jan 25, 2019
from the National Weather Service
- Minimize travel.
- Stay indoors during the worst part of the extreme cold.
- Keep a winter survival kit in your vehicle if you must travel.
- Check tire pressure, antifreeze levels, heater/defroster, etc.
- Learn how to shut off water valves for potential pipe bursts.
- Check on the elderly.
- Bring pets inside.
How Should I Dress?
- Wear layers of loose-fitting, lightweight, warm clothing, and a hat.
- Mittens, snug at the wrist, are better than gloves.
- Cover your mouth to protect your lungs from extreme cold.
- Try to stay dry and out of the wind.
For more information visit https://www.ready.gov/winter-weather
For information about Wind Chill, charts and calculator visit https://www.weather.gov/bgm/outreachExtremeColdSafety