Permitting Procedures

Replacement Septic Systems

Alterations of Existing Septic Systems - When is an Alteration Permit Needed?
Alteration permits are needed when there is a change in the nature of influent waste strength, a change in system components, an expansion of the treatment system, and changes in the volume of daily design flow. Examples are adding an aeration tank to an existing leach field, a leach field to an existing system and adding bedrooms which increase design flow. They are not required when replacing like-for-like components such as pipe, risers and lids, adding a "T" to a tank or adding an inspection port.


Building and Zoning Approvals

When is a Building/Zoning Approval Needed?
Basic Evaluation of an Existing Sewage Treatment System applications are needed when a home is remaining from a lot split and for projects such as dwelling additions and remodels that increase the potential occupancy or footprint of the dwelling. Adding a garage, shed, accessory building, pond, pool, porch, deck, drive, hardscape, etc. and any lot excavation project require one also. Owners may request a trouble-shooting evaluation of their existing sewage treatment system through this program.



According to OAC Chapter 3701-29-06 (I), “A STS shall not be sited, permitted, or installed where a sanitary sewerage system is accessible, unless otherwise excepted by law. Whenever a sanitary sewerage system becomes accessible to a dwelling or structure served by a STS, the dwelling and/or structures shall be connected to the sanitary sewerage system and the STS abandoned in accordance with rule 3701-29-21 of the Administrative Code.”

SCPH’s role when connecting a residence to sanitary sewer is to ensure the septic system becomes properly abandoned. The contractor connecting the home into the sewer can perform the abandonment. Once the system is abandoned, the following form must be submitted to SCPH with the appropriate abandonment fee:


For questions about sewer connection, including cost estimates and permits, please contact the local sewer authority that services your neighborhood:

Summit County Department of Environmental Services

City of Akron Utilities Business Office

Village of Richfield

City of Twinsburg

City of Barberton

City of Hudson

City of Cuyahoga Falls